Racing tales from the great Pacific Northwest

Monday, March 8, 2010

Ice Breaker Time Trial

What an awesome day to go purposely self inflict massive amounts of pain to your body. Just like last week we had a lot of guy/gals out for this race. Cucina had a record amount of racers for their event and I think they did a great job organizing. My start time wasn't until 10:47 but we had to check in by 8:30 so I was there plenty early. I wasn't feeling quite as good as I did for Frostbite but I was hoping to do at least as well. I was plenty warmed up by the time I went over to the start line. My start wasn't as good as last week but I still got up to speed fairly fast. The course is on a 5 mile out and back with curvy roads and a little bit of climbing (very little). I was rolling smoothly, doing about 26mph. My hr was hovering around 170bpm. I was feeling pretty good going out. I made the turnaround and finally caught my 30 second guy. He had been setting a good pace and he happened to be a CAT 3 as well. As I passed it gave him motivation and he was right on my wheel. I could see his shadow. I'm not sure if he was drafting but I didn't care -he would have been the one to get DQ'd. After about 1K he finally got beside me and slowly passed. Just after he passed, we came to a curve and as we went around there was a huge, hay-hauling semi going about 20mpg with 5 other cars in tow. Dammit!! As we rolled up behind we both had to coast for a second. I moved right and saw two racers on the shoulder next to the cars . If I went left I would be screwed. As I was making my decision the guy with me went right and headed down the shoulder. I decided to take a chance and went left. The road straightened out and no cars were coming. I managed to stay within the yellow and I'm sure I scared the crap out of a couple of the drivers. I got around and noticed none of the other three races were there. I had made the right move. It did mess me up though. My breathing was out of sync and my hr had shot up to 185. I kept telling myself that there were only a few minutes to go. I was hurting. I kept powering and I finally saw the 1K sign. I shifted down and slightly increased my effort. It seemed like it took forever to get to the 200m sign. "Where the hell is it?!" I finally saw it, threw it down and crossed the line in 23.17. I was a little disappointed because I knew I lost a little time dealing with the truck but it was good enough for 8th place. Once again, our whole team had a good day. Now, to rest up for Mason 1...

No comments:

Post a Comment